Employee Travel

When traveling on official University business, employees are expected to demonstrate the same fiscal responsibility and prudence they would exercise when traveling for personal reasons and using their own funds. This includes a commitment to cost-efficient practices and prudent spending. 

Key Facts 

  • Must be processed and approved in Chrome River. 
  • Plan your trip and enter the Pre-Approval (PA) report, at minimum, three (3) weeks before traveling (domestic).  
  • Must have an approved PA report before spending funds (personal or T-card) and traveling. 
  • Must submit Expense (ER) Reports in Chrome River within thirty (30) to forty-five (45) days after travel supported by itemized receipts. 
  • Travel expenses claimed after forty-five (45) days fall within the non-accountable plan and are considered taxable income. These expenses must be reported to payroll. 

Pre-Approval Checklist

  • Agendas, itineraries, site contact emails for research visits, and event or team schedules are required documentation. Supporting documentation can include anything to support the trip's purpose, which clearly states the dates of travel and destination.
  • Enter estimates for travel (i.e. airfare, lodging, registration, meals per diem, and any expenses related to the travel). If required by your department, documentation for the estimates is necessary.

Important to Know 

Other Important Travel Info, Rates, and Allowances 

  • Direct Travel: 336.768.1680. You must have an approved PA (pre-approval). 
  • Book directly with the airline. 

In-State ($46.50 daily) 
  • Breakfast - $10.10 
  • Lunch - $13.30 
  • Dinner - $23.10 
Out-of-State ($49.70 daily) 
  • Breakfast - $10.10 
  • Lunch - $13.30 
  • Dinner - $26.30 

Per diem is allowed for overnight stays only. 

Effective January 1, 2024 by the NC Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM), mileage for personal vehicle use is $0.67 (IRS rate) per mile. 

  • Real ID's will be required on May 7, 2025, to board domestic flights and access certain federal facilities. 
  • Security Screening Identification -TSA Update information from the Transportation Security Administration website. 

Frequently Asked Questions

The employee's supervisor or designated budget manager. 

Travelers will enter the department fund in Chrome River’s allocation to ensure proper routing of workflow and approvals. 

University travelers should use the least expensive method of ground transportation to meet their business needs. If the traveler chooses to rent a car, they may be asked to provide a justification that the total cost of the rental (including parking, gas, tolls, etc.) was less expensive than alternative options. 

No, university employees are covered by the State's master policy. Additional insurance costs are strictly prohibited by state regulation. In case of an accident call (800) 277-8181 and reference policy #104T6800. 

No, personal expenses and will not be reimbursed without a written justification to explain the benefit the University derived from the expense.

If State-appropriated or Facilities and Administrative Funds pay for the trip, the maximum per diem amount allowed for meals is set by the OSBM (see Travel Allowances, Mileage, and Per Diem Rates).  

Some federal contracts and grants allow per diem reimbursement based on the U.S. State Department allowances. If a traveler wishes to use funds from a federal contract and grant, the grant must have specific documentation to support travel at rates exceeding the out-of-state per diem rate. The supporting documentation MUST be included in the pre-approval and the reimbursement. 

Yes, it also includes ground transportation expenses going to and from the restaurant. 

No, per diem is only allowed when the travel requires an overnight stay. 

No, employees cannot be reimbursed for meals paid for or provided by a conference, workshop, or seminar. 

Yes, travelers can claim per diem for continental breakfast. 

No, meals per diem are an allowance and may not exceed the amounts determined by the NC General Assembly. 

The Office of the State Budget and Management informs all employees of what the State will cover for their lodging. All employees should request the conference rate when reserving lodging, especially at the event host hotel. If it is not possible to obtain clean, safe lodging within a reasonable proximity of the business site, an exception will be made, and out-of-pocket hotel receipts will be reimbursed with appropriate written justification. 

No, these are personal expenses and must be paid for with your personal funds. 

Employees should either pay with their T-card or pay out of pocket. Employees with a travel card must justify paying with their own money if they wish to receive reimbursement for the registration costs. 

Yes. If you choose to purchase a bundled package, ensure the details are itemized in the receipt. 

Fees charged by commercial airlines, including baggage fees, main cabin seats within the coach/economy class section, or airport service charges, are allowable and may be paid/reimbursed as a part of air transportation expenses.  

However, the number of bags should be reasonable in relation to the business purpose. For example, if the number of bags checked exceeds two (2), the purpose of the trip should justify the additional bags. Other fees, such as early/priority boarding, or extra leg room are personal and will not be reimbursed. 

No, we only reimburse the main cabin; all other preferred seating will be considered personal charges. 

Yes, if you provide a doctor's note to the University’s Human Resources department for workplace accommodation and the medical document is no more than two years old for upgraded travel requests. A verification from HR must be included in your travel reports.  

Yes, if the nonstop international segment is eight or more hours. If you have a connection(s), any segments which do not exceed eight hours should be booked as the main cabin. 

Flight credits acquired while traveling on university business at the University’s expense are the property of the University. They should be used by the traveler on future University business trips. If the traveler uses the University flight credit for future personal travel, the traveler must repay the fund via a transmittal form, and then the credit will be available for personal use. 

Questions? Contact University Travel Services.

Meet the Team >