Work Environment

  • The university strives to be assessable to all individuals. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, you are encouraged to discuss the accommodation needed with your supervisor and the Human Resources Employee Relations Office for assistance in obtaining accommodations. Requests for accommodations should be submitted in writing to your supervisor or the Employee Relations Office. You may also be required to submit medical documentation supporting the accommodation requested. Such documentation should be submitted only to the Employee Relations Office in the Division of Human Resources and is considered confidential.
  • For more information: Reasonable Accommodation

  • The State of North Carolina allows disciplinary appeal and the right to grieve to the Office of Administrative Hearings (after completion of the University’s internal grievance process) by employees who achieve status as career employees. Career status applies to the following:
    1. Employees in a permanent appointment who have been continuously employed by the State in a SHRA position for the immediately preceding twelve (12) months, 24 months for law enforcement who need to complete BLET.
  • The State prohibits employers from suspending, demoting, or dismissing career employees without just cause. A written notice of explanation should be provided to a career employee in advance of any disciplinary action to suspend, demote, or dismiss the employee. Otherwise, grievance procedures are available to appeal such actions.

  • To maintain a harmonious and cooperative relationship between the University and its staff, and in accordance with the provisions of the North Carolina Office of State Human Resources, the University has established grievance procedures to provide for the orderly settlement of problems and differences. The formal grievance process is as follows:
    1. Step 1 - Mediation - attempt to resolve through dispute resolution;
    2. Step 2- Review by the staff grievance committee – grievance hearing.
    3. Appeal to the Office of Administrative Hearings – “Petition for a Contested Case” (Note: some issues are only grievable at the University level only).
  • Each supervisor and staff member have an obligation to make every effort to resolve problems as they arise, and the University encourages the resolution of grievances on an informal basis whenever possible. An informal discussion must be requested within 15 calendar days of the alleged event or action. The informal discussion must occur within 15 calendar days from the date of the request for an informal discussion. However, when a complaint cannot be resolved informally, the grievance procedure will be used to seek a fair and timely solution. The informal process applies only to issues that do not involve an allegation of unlawful discrimination, harassment or retaliation, a disciplinary action, or a non-disciplinary separation due to unavailability. Allegations of unlawful discrimination, harassment or retaliation shall be addressed through the University EEO Informal Inquiry process before proceeding to the formal internal grievance process.
  • If you have a complaint or dissatisfaction arising from an interpretation, application, or a claim of violation of a provision of any policy, rule, or regulation applicable to University employment, you have the right to present your grievance in accordance with these procedures, free from interference, coercion, restraint, discrimination, or reprisal.
  • Probationary employees also have access to the grievance procedure, but termination during the probationary period is not a grievable issue, absent allegations of discrimination.
  • A grievance or complaint must be presented within fifteen (15) calendar days of the alleged event or action that is the basis of the grievance, or within fifteen (15) calendar days of the date when you had reason to know of the occurrence.
  • For more information: SHRA Employee Grievance Policy

  • As a job applicant, current employee, or former employee, you have the right to file a grievance through the University’s internal grievance process or do an external filing directly with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) if you have reason to believe that employment, promotion, or transfer has been denied or that a demotion, layoff, or termination of employment is because of age, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, political affiliation, disability, or genetic information, except where specific age, sex, or physical requirements constitute a bona fide occupational qualification necessary to perform the job.
  • These guidelines also apply in cases where a person has reason to believe they have been the object of retaliation for opposition to discriminatory behavior based on these protected classes.
  • A grievance or complaint must be presented within fifteen (15) calendar days of the alleged event or action that is the basis of the grievance or within fifteen (15) calendar days of the date when you had reason to know of the occurrence.
  • For more information: SHRA Employee Grievance Policy

  • Grievances involving issues other than discrimination may be brought forth in accordance with the University’s grievance policy. You must first make your supervisor and the Employee Relations Office aware of your grievance by requesting an informal discussion within 15 calendar days of the event or action that is the basis of the grievance.
  • For more information: SHRA Employee Grievance Policy

  • If you are an SHRA employee who has obtained career status, you may appeal a dismissal, demotion or suspension without pay through the University's grievance and appeal procedure. If you are a probationary employee, you will have access to the grievance process for allegations of discrimination.
  • For more information: SHRA Employee Grievance Policy

  • The supervisor and employee should make every effort to resolve problems as they arise on an informal basis whenever possible. However, if a resolution cannot be resolved informally, the employee may seek a formal review without reprisal. The employee may file a grievance for discharge for cause or discrimination with the Employee Relations Office. Based on the type of complaint, the Employee Relations Office may mediate, investigate, or refer the complaint to the EHRA Non-Faculty Grievance Committee who will hold a hearing within 30 calendar days.
  • For more information: Employment Policies for EHRA Non-Faculty Employees

  • You are expected to be courteous, respectful, professional, and conduct yourself in a manner appropriate to the workplace. Behavior that disrupts work; jeopardizes the safety of persons or property; intimidates, harasses, or bullies others; involves illegal activity and/or drug use; or is otherwise inappropriate for the workplace and considered serious enough not to warrant warning may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including separation from employment. Behavior outside of the workplace may also be considered if it interferes with your ability to properly represent the University and/or is harmful to the University’s reputation.

  • Supervisors are encouraged to counsel and coach employees who are not meeting performance expectations or have engaged in inappropriate behavior. Usually, supervisors document such counseling/coaching sessions with a letter or email which includes what you, the employee, need to do to correct such performance and/or conduct issues. These sessions and documents are intended to correct issues before formal disciplinary action is taken and are not considered “written warnings” or “formal disciplinary actions.” If a performance or conduct issue is severe, or if it is reasonable to expect that you are aware of and able to meet expectations but choose not to, a supervisor may elect to proceed to formal discipline without first having a counseling/coaching session with you.

  • Before being dismissed for unsatisfactory job performance, SHRA career status employees must receive:
    1. At least two (2) active written warnings, or one (1) active written warning and one (1) other disciplinary action; and
    2. An opportunity to participate in a pre-disciplinary conference. The pre-disciplinary conference allows you to present any reasons as to why the dismissal should not occur prior to a final decision being made.
  • For more information: Disciplinary Action Policy

  • If workload allows and working conditions warrant, departments may grant a fifteen (15) minute paid break during any work period of four (4) consecutive hours. Breaks are a privilege and may not be added to meal periods, used to shorten the workday, taken in conjunction with any type of leave, or combined. Breaks are optional, not required, and may be allowed at the discretion of the department supervisor.
  • Meal periods are, at a minimum, thirty (30) minutes, during which you are completely free of assigned work. Generally, full-time staff working 8 hours a day receives one (1) hour for meals. Meal periods may not be used to shorten the workday or taken in conjunction with any type of leave. If you work six (6) hours per day or longer, you will be given a minimum of a thirty (30) minute meal period.

  • You are expected to wear attire that is job appropriate. Some departments may provide guidelines or adopt informal dress codes. If management considers clothing to be inappropriate, you may be warned, or sent home to change. Such absences will be charged to your vacation time, bonus leave, or leave without pay. Other departments may issue uniforms, which are University property, and must be returned should you leave university employment. You may be charged for uniforms that are lost or not returned. Uniforms are for use while conducting university business and should not be used for personal reasons or for any type of secondary employment. Uniforms identify you as a representative of the university and you are expected to act appropriately when in uniform.

  • To promote a healthy working and learning environment, smoking is prohibited in all State buildings. Smoking is allowed outside in designated areas (those areas are clearly marked with a sign indicating it is a smoking area), and 50 feet away from the building.

  • Personal telephone calls during working hours are occasionally necessary; however, long distance or toll calls of a personal nature may not be made at the University's expense at any time. Use of personal communication devices during working hours should be limited.
  • You are asked to be respectful of others in the workplace and to ensure such devices do not create a disturbance, interfere with meeting performance expectations, or intrude on the privacy of others in the university community.
  • You will be assigned an email account for conducting university business. The account belongs to the University and emails sent and received are stored on university servers. Personal use of email accounts should be limited and should not interfere with your normal work duties. Use of email to send or receive material that is inappropriate or may be offensive to other members of the university community is subject to disciplinary action. Emails may be considered public information and subject to release.
  • For more information: Employee Email Policy

  • Most departments will provide you with access to a university computer and/or other electronic equipment (such as digital cameras, scanners, printers, iPads, etc.) in your workstation. You will also have access to personal computers and other electronic equipment located in the library and computer labs on campus. You may use computers in the library for personal reasons before or after normal working hours if the use does not create a conflict with your employment or it is not used inappropriately. During scheduled work hours computers should not be used under any circumstances that your supervisor feels is detrimental to your employment or may harm the reputation or standing of the university in the community. This includes gambling, gaming, online shopping, social media usage, or participating in any illegal activities.

  • You will not be retaliated against for good faith reporting of fraud, waste, abuse or other types of misconduct. You are encouraged to report such issues to your supervisor or department head. However if you are not comfortable doing so, you can also report through the Internal Auditors Office, the University General Counsel, the University Police and Public Safety, the Vice Chancellor or Assistant Vice Chancellor for Division of Human Resources, Provost, or Employee Relations office. If you believe you are being retaliated against for reporting the above to management, you should contact Employee Relations in the Human Resources Department for assistance.
  • For more information: Whistle Blower

  • In support of employees who are nursing mothers, the University is required by U.S. Department of Labor to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child’s birth each time the employee has need to express the milk. Employers are also required to provide a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free form intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.
  • For more information: Employee Relations Office, 336-334-7862.

  • An employee who is pregnant, breastfeeding or has medical conditions around their pregnancy may request a workplace adjustment to perform the essential functions of their job unless doing so would impose significant burdens or costs. Medical certification may be required. Workplace Adjustments may include, but are not limited to, the following temporary accommodations: a change in workstation and seating equipment, and/or relocation of workplace materials and equipment to make them more accessible; more frequent and/or longer breaks; periodic rest; assistance with manual labor; modified work schedules, including the option to work from home; modified work assignments; adjustment of uniforms or dress codes; provision of properly sized safety gear; temporary transfer; reasonable break time and access to appropriate, non-bathroom lactation accommodations for rest and/or to express breast milk; access to food and drink and permitting meals and beverages at workstations; changes in lighting and noise levels; and closer parking and/or access to mobile assistance devices. All requests should be made to the Employee Relations Office by completing the Request for Workplace Adjustments form.
  • For more information: Executive Order 82/Eligible Pregnant State Employees